- DEC 1, 2017 - 11:00 PM
- for full article
- WEST MONROE — Safety Rodaren Alexander and kicker Martell Fontenot personified Zachary High coach David Brewerton’s belief that his team could be a giant killer.
- Fontenot kicked a 40-yard field goal with 1:36 left in the game. Alexander then batted down a potential game-tying 2-point conversion with 28 seconds remaining and covered the ensuing onside kick to clinch the Broncos’ 29-27 victory over top-seeded West Monroe in a Class 5A semifinal game Friday night at WMHS’ Don Shows Stadium.
- “You either want to play in those situations or you shy away from them,” Brewerton said. “These guys wanted it. I never saw any doubt in their eyes. Never a doubt … and they fought for 48 minutes to get it.”
Team of the Week, November 29
Congratulations Blake!They are simply terms of endearment to an offensive lineman; music to their ears. Nasty and “having a mean streak” are high atop the list of superlatives that can be bestowed on offensive linemen, and Zachary senior Blake Anderson has been labeled that way by his coach. When Anderson lines up at left guard Friday in fourth-seeded Zachary’s Class 5A nonselect state semifinal at top-seeded West Monroe (13-0) at 7 p.m., it will mark the 57th game of his career — the most in school history. For Full Story - the Advocate
BY : William Weathers
Broncos Defeat Mandeville 38-0.
Will play John Ehret @ home
Friday, November 17
JOIN US AT THE CORRAL!
The victory over Belaire gave Coach David Brewerton his 100th career win.
Congratulations Coach Brew!
- BY ROBIN FAMBROUGH | RFAMBROUGH@THEADVOCATE.COM OCT 21, 2017 - 11:53 AM (0)
- Scotlandville and Zachary high schools weren’t rivals in the truest sense until three years ago.
- The teams met two times in 2014 and the Broncos won twice, including a victory in the Class 5A quarterfinals.
- In 2016, the teams combined for 987 yards, but it was a fumble recovery in the end zone that gave Zachary a 49-46 win. From there, the Broncos went on to win the Class 5A LHSAA title. Scotlandville won 24-21 a year ago and was the Division I runner-up.
- Now fifth-ranked Scotlandville (7-0, 4-0) travels to No. 9 Zachary (6-2, 4-0) for a District 4-5A game that highlights the Week 9 football schedule.
- FOR FULL STORY
- ZACHARY — Darweshi Sanders ran for 115 yards and three touchdowns Friday night, and the Zachary defense had seven sacks as the Broncos shut out Central 21-0.
- Zachary (6-2, 3-1 District 4-5A) won the field-position battle for most of the game, and though the Broncos struggled at times against an inspired Central defense, they put together scoring drives in the second and fourth quarters and took advantage of a turnover to score another touchdown.
- “We were inefficient on offense tonight,” Zachary coach David Brewerton said. “But we played well enough on special teams and defense to keep good field position and make it where (Central) had to go 80 yards most of the night. Our defense played well once they settled in.”